Apr 16, 2009

About IP (Intellectual Property)

When I was in Shanghai, I attended James' law course on IP at Fudan University.

It's a hot topic in China now, including a case last year where Microsoft had computers of users of pirated Windows software experiencing blackouts (for chinese speakers, an indepth discussion on this matter can be found in Brainstorm sessions with experts from the IT field).

I'm not against IP at all, in fact, I'm all for it since I build websites of my own.

What is interesting though is that the benefits from an open platform is being hampered in the western medias more so than in the chinese medias (in the name of profitablity, I'm sure). It is a surprise to me, to say the least! I'm not merely referring to hollywood productions or the entertainment field. I'm referring to productions by CNBC, CNN, Reuters instead. These are all commercial entities. Granted, it has its shareholders to account to, wherein some or most of the Chinese medias are government funded, a case in point is CCTV or CBN. For educational purposes though, I learn a great deal out of these medias which have many of its programs streamed onto the web on a daily basis. I've a lot more (free, as in not paid, which in turn becomes FREE, as in dissemination of ) information streamed out of China than I've about the West (main stream media, I mean). WE may be living in a free society, but we are definitely all made to pay for them!!! This is especially true of CNBC, CNN & Reuters! That essentially means (at least to me, it means) having unequal disadvantage when it comes to information processing. Information & the timely acquisition of information for investment's decision making means a lot of difference when it comes to the finance arena! This goes against fair competition, I believe. In some ways, I do feel that there is more fairness among the common people in Shanghai than there is among the New Yorkers. I might be wrong, but that's how I've been feeling & it bothers me that I feel so!


Getaway to Austria, a foreign language (ie. English in this case) travel program by ICS (International Channel Shanghai) broadcasted on Apr. 11, 2009

Today's Video: Gone with the wind (Quacor)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers