Apr 3, 2009

Back to the Future

My colleague sent me a link (The Cool Hunter) to view a private property owned by the Malaysian YTL's boss today. Upon viewing it, it reminded me of the brief period in my life right after college during which I was passionate about designing homes that I had imagined about. I didn't have any training in this field & even though I had aspired to be an architect, my parents didn't think it a profitable field to be in (which proves to show parents don't always know best ;-)) & hence I didn't get the sponsorship to study it in my undergraduate years. Still, I have had those design concepts in my mind & up to today, I still can remember them vividly. One of them involves having a small pool with a transparent bottom in which anyone below it could look up & see the swimmers. This pool would be in the dining (or rather, breakfast) room one floor up. To date, I've yet seen anything I've imagined. Although, I had seen something I had dreamt about. It was so real that I got a chill down my spine when I saw the views from Hearst Castle (I had dreamt about swimming in one of them!) as well as in the movie, What Dreams May Come!

Speaking of movies, The Matrix is one which I had a sense of deja vu. The plot is very similar to some ideas which my sis & I had explored & talked about (aka parallel world) a few years before it was released in the cinema. It may well be the time the author wrote the book. I'm not sure, never did check. But, I do believe some kind of telepathy does exist in this world, as with intuition. I've a good sense of intuition about some major events in the world. One day when I'm ready, I'll write about them. It is something which I can no longer deny that is inherent (despite my early attempts to shrug them off), but I can't based them on any facts nor can I predict nor prove how accurate they are either. It is simply this feeling of knowing (& sometimes, uneasiness) which arises out of nowhere. Spooky, isn't it?

The tie that links architecture & The Matrix is my innate preference for futuristic designs; any design that is out of this world & ahead of its time per se. It does not have to be anything out of Star Wars or anything that is from E.T. It may be something like Sagrada Familia or something like Guggenheim Bilbao. I do like some of Wright's works as well. It often brings me joy to get a glimpse of the future & through some of these (be it movies, gadgets, concepts, thoughts) inventions, I get the lucky feeling that I've been transported through a time machine. It might well be a case of back to the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers