Apr 23, 2009

I Dreamed a Dream

Les Misérables is one of the musicals which I've long forgotten. If not for Susan Boyle.
I landed in London early morning 4 years ago or possibly even longer, very early, about 6 am after 12 hours in the air. Had the hotel concierge got me a ticket and that was the only night he managed to find a ticket to the show. Spent the day around London & by the time I got to the musical, I was not tip top. Ok, I'm owning it up here... I even dozed off half way through the show (it was a long one btw). I was out of control, simply couldn't help it!

But, I do remember this song. I knew I liked it, but there are many other songs which I liked too. Les Miserables didn't leave a deep imprint in my mind, much less my heart! Although it did my colleague who had actually seen it 5x, I was recently told. Les Miserables, 5x? OMG!

What I'm trying to say is this... at times, something in a show, movie, or event, makes it bigger than it otherwise is. This is one instance. Susan Boyle's rendition of the song makes it a stunning revelation; a calling which deep down we all have at some point in time, especially the world is now in its deepest recession (or depression for many). It is a case of "There's nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come (Victor Hugo)". It speaks to the world audience, of desperation, of hope, of the past, the present & the uncertain future.


When Fantine was unemployed & destitute, it is the same circumstance as many of us are in right now. When Susan Boyle sang the first verse, I was touched deep inside. Deeply touched. It's something in her voice that did it. I couldn't help myself from shedding tears. Not because I think she's destitute or because she's pathetic. It's not her, and possibly not even her voice. It is not the song either. I think it is HER rendition of the song. In this case, she has made something which have existed in public eyes for decades and turned it into something of a miracle. That to me is God is speaking.

Trivia: The song I dreamed a dream has also been sung on the night of President Clinton's inauguration.



Hayley Westenra sang the very same song when she was 14 in 2002. I love her voice!


Another rendition of the very same song by Elaine Page.


After going through the many artiste who had sung the song, I think the X-factor truly lies in the song I Dreamed A Dream!!!

Today's Video: Spente Le Stelle by Emma Shapplin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers